"". Linda Sparkman's Blog: Grami's First Day

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Grami's First Day

Charly & Grami
Hi~ I'm Grami.
Today is the day I dreamt of.  It's the first day I'm spending with my Granddaughter, Charly.
Mom returned to work.  Charly is six months old.  

Can you say, "Text message"?  
It's 12:45.  Six hours in, and there's been twenty-three of them so far.  In addition there have been three voice calls.   Dad to me, Me to Dad, Dad to me Dad to me, Mom to me. Mom to me. Me to mom...

Charly has literally not left my sight.  She's been either in my arms, within arms reach, or on the TV screen via short circuit.

The television has been on the entire time, because it requires a programmer to turn it on.  Mercifully, I found the "mute" button.  

This brings me to my reason for writing--I happened to catch a popular morning program with two attractive women engaged in animated conversation.  They were quickly joined by a third woman, even more enthusiastic than the first two women.  

Since I muted the sound, I was able to gain a different perspective.  Smiles gleamed, heads waggled, arms flung.

"Oh my goodness!," I thought.  "That looks like me!"

Yikes~  Do we all look alike?  Do we gravitate excitedly around any new item, chatter and banter, then make it ours?

I looked over at Charly, who was enjoying gnawing on the face of a doll, and spoke distinctly and adult.  "Maybe I can spare her," I thought.  "Yes, Charly, that is your doll.  Please treat her with respect."

She smiled.

"OOh, r n't you gram's witty snuggli buggi honey-doll?" I squealed, bobbing my head and flailing my arms about.



No comments:

Post a Comment