"". Linda Sparkman's Blog: Staples Can Hurt

Logo

Logo
It's my Biz

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Staples Can Hurt




On my way to find out just how dangerous the metal staples on my prescription bags (and CHINESE FOOD CARRY-OUT BAGS!) really were, I happened across a comprehensive document on safety writing for the Hospitality Institute of Technology Management. (C&F:homecook/home-2006-2col-clr-forpdf- rev 10/30/08 print 10/30/08 © HITM 1994 Jun 06 edition 2006)
In short, staples can hurt people by poking and/or scratching their fingers, or other body parts, and yes, people do swallow them, or pieces of them, by mistake—ouch!  The most outstanding thing I learned is, according to the article:
 “Insurance companies pay more money for mouth and throat injuries due to hard foreign objects in the food than for any type of food borne illness.” 

The article goes on to say the reason for this is because of how easy it is to determine injury cause for these cases.  My input is, I was right!  Staples in a kitchen can be a problem.

On the other hand, the article also warned against one of my favorite all time products… “Metal scrub pads should not be used for cleaning pots and pans and other surfaces, because the fine pieces of metal may get into the food.
                                      Rats!
C&F:homecook/home-2006-2col-clr-forpdf- rev 10/30/08 print 10/30/08 © HITM 1994 Jun 06 edition. "Food Saftey Hazards and Controls For the Home Food Preparer." Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management. June 2006. http://www.hi-tm.com/homeprep/Home-2006-2col-forpdf.pdf (accessed 11 9, 2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment